It is important to periodically monitor the overall condition of the roof on your home. Wear and tear as a result of weather and age occurs in every home, and it is wise to take care of problems before they lead to extensive and costly repairs. Routine maintenance and repairs should be done to ensure that everything is well with the roof of the home. If your roof is in really bad condition then replacing it with new roof construction is your best option.
Bad roof conditions create a number of other problems. In order to protect your home and keep it safe from the bad weather conditions, durable and strong roofs are very important. Maintenance is perhaps the most important aspect of keeping your roof, and your home, looking good for a long time. Things you can do to help keep your roof in the best shape for longer include:
- Cut back trees or bushes that are near the roof.
- Clean off debris that accumulates on the roof.
- Make sure there is proper rain water routing and drainage.
- Replace missing or damaged shingles.
- Repair leaks when you find them.
Before you move into a new property it is important that you have a home inspection. Which should also include a thorough inspection of the roof. They should look for any cracks around the vent pipes that come up through the roof. This is a common fail point. The inspector will also do a thorough visual inspection on the coating of your roof to see if it was properly maintained. If it looks faded, cracked, or peeling, that means it is something you should then look into and fix.
Factors that Affect Roofs over Time
- Sunshine delivers a combination of ultraviolet rays and heat that can prematurely age a roof.
- Rain is normally kept at bay by a roof. But when moisture gets underneath roofing then damage occurs.
- Wind can remove any roof in the most extreme occurrence. However even minimal amounts can weaken a poorly installed roof by letting dirt and moisture get underneath.
- Moisture from condensation underneath a roof not only harms the roof and sheathing, but also can cause problems inside of the house.
- Trees provide shade to help cool a house. They also provide leaves and limbs that can fall or rub against the roof thus causing damage.
- Algae and moss get a foothold on moist surfaces. Excessive growth can retain moisture and cause eventual weakening of the roofing material.
Other Possible Causes of Roof Problems:
- Improper Installation
- Improper Design
- Lack of Roof Maintenance
- Roof Flashing Failures
Having a roof in need of repair is a very common problem for San Diego homeowners; especially during the winter rain storms and El Ninos wind storms. When your roof leaks there are many problems that can happen. Such as mold and mildew stains, damaged foundations, and water stains on the ceiling, just to name a few.
Roof Repairs and Roof Maintenance
Each of these major causes of roof damage can be minimized by regular and careful inspection. Immediate attention to any flaws or damages, along with competent roof repairs, can help you avoid major damage to your roof and to your home. Regular roof maintenance and roof repairs will also prevent the need for pre-mature and costly new roof replacement.
If your roof is in need of replacing then call us at HK Construction. The do new roof construction. Call for free price quote.
Company: HK Construction, Inc.
Owner: Marc Gieselmann, Owner