Room Addition Types
Table of Contents
If you are a homeowner living with limited space, as your family grows you may feel the necessity to have more space. Instead of selling the home and moving out, talking to a San Diego room addition contractor is a great plan. Room additions are currently trending popular in San Diego for those wishing to add more space but do not want to sell their home and move to a bigger one.
There are two main types of room additions: External and Internal.
External room additions are the kind where you build onto your home. If single story or build outward onto first floor, then this will increase the home’s footprint width. If adding rooms upwards then you’ll increase the height.
Internal room additions entail build a new room inside your home. Meaning, not going outward, but rather going inward. Internal room additions tend to cost less than external. The reason why is they generally share existing wall, floors, or ceilings. So there is less building materials and less time involving construction.
Whether internal or external, you can add any room you need. For example: bedrooms, bathrooms, loft, home office, living room, family room, game room, home theater, granny flat, workshop, etc. While these are generic suggestions, if you dream it we can build it. We do custom design and construction as well. So as a professional San Diego room addition contractor we can build whatever new room addition you desire.
So then, decide what type of room addition is most suitable for you.
- If your home has enough yard space, it may be more economical to have a room addition built onto the same level into the front, back or side yard; whichever applies best.
- However, if yard space is limited, one may need to build up, adding a second level.
- Another option to consider is internal expansion through the knocking out of a wall to join two inside rooms into one larger room.
Top 3 Room Addition Tips
This kind of remodeling job can range dramatically in scale. Knocking down an interior wall to extend a room is one example. But adding a bedroom, sunroom, game room or another completely new space onto a home fits the description as well. So hopefully you’ll find these room addition tips valuable.
PRO TIP #1:
So then, how should you build your room addition? For example, if you have a single story house, do you build outward or up into a second story?
Often the question you must answer is what makes more sense both feasibly and financially. In most scenarios, homeowners find it more cost effective and practical to add room additions on the same level rather than build a second story. This especially makes good sense if you have enough land to accommodate the addition.
Room additions are an incredible strategy to freshen up and modify the layout of your residence.
PRO TIP #2:
Before we begin construction we need to thoroughly inspect your home’s foundation to ensure it can support room additions. This is especially important if we are building a second story.
Depending on the type of construction, certain concrete footing and foundation enhancement might be necessary. A second story addition may need additional foundation and/or footings since what is typical for a single-story home may not be substantial enough for a second story.
PRO TIP #3:
Raising the Roof: When we build a second story addition we begin by removing your roof over the construction area. But having a portion of your roof dismantled for a period time increases your vulnerability to weather, including rain, heat and wind.
The project requires expert control and will take significant time and skillful labor. So if you decide to add a story, you must hire a very experienced San Diego remodeling contractor who has done a project of this complexity. HK Construction has over 25 years experience with this type of room addition remodeling.
Additional Room Addition Tips:
The contractor you choose to do the internal room addition project must have:
- Long standing in the construction industry.
- High level of experience.
- Backed by latest knowledge of the current technical advances in the field.
- All the proper equipment.
- Knowledge of the latest trends and materials available.
- Special knowledge and experience in constructing internal room additions.
- Have completed many similar projects to the utmost satisfaction of the customers (good reviews)
- Legal knowledge and must be able to apply for and get all the permits, licenses and registrations to complete your room addition project in a legal and hassle free manner.
- A rough idea of the type of additions you want to make, the nature of alterations you need to do, and the look and feel of the new room after the project is completed.
- Be able to provide the right and the valuable inputs to you in developing your project as per the latest trends and design specifics.
In addition to creating the basic floor plan, lay out of equipment, the color scheme for the newly created room and furnishings your San Diego room addition contractor must be able to take care of flooring, electrical circuitry and installation of the equipment and appliances, plumbing and fixtures installation, ventilation and air-conditioning etc.
San Diego Room Addition Contractor Services
About Us: We’re very easy to work with and upfront about everything, including all the steps involved in a home remodeling project. After meeting with us you’ll have all the facts about adding bedrooms that you need. So you’ll have clear information for making some big decisions.
We really enjoy helping people blossom their home’s full potential and true appeal, such as shown in our San Diego room addition contractor videos. So that’s why our primary construction services are building in, building out, and building up residential homes. What that means is we focus on adding floor space by creating room additions.
- Building in means we use available space already within your home. For example, building a loft in empty vaulted ceiling space, or dividing a great room with a wall to create two separate rooms.
- Building out is when we add on a new room to your home. Generally we knock out a wall and expand floor space into your yard thus increasing the square footage of your home. Building out also involves new free standing construction such as an office, workshop, or granny flat.
- Building up is for going higher instead of outward. This is great for small yards where there is little to no space for building out. So we go upstairs with room additions.
Did you find the San Diego room addition contractor tips and information you were looking for? Whether “yes” or “no” that’s great either way because then we have a chance to serve you! So please contact us with your questions. Or even if you want a free quote on home remodeling services. We’re always happy to help!
Company: HK Construction, Inc.
Service: Room Addition San Diego
Owner: Marc Gieselmann, Owner
Location: Poway and San Diego, CA
San Diego room addition contractor serving all of San Diego and North San Diego County.
Check out our videos on YouTube!