What is Universal Design Home Remodeling?
Universal design is related to aging-in-place remodeling. The term refers to a broad-spectrum of aging in place home remodeling meant for easy access to older people and people of all ages with disabilities. Also known as “Barrier Free” design; especially for those with physical limitations or other disabilities. However, in a broad view, the term is used to describe the concept of remodeling a home that looks nice and is easy to live in to the greatest extent possible by everyone, regardless of their age, ability, or status in life.
Universal design emerged from slightly earlier barrier-free concepts, the easy access movement, and adaptive and assistive technology. Basically speaking, it’s a blend of modern appeal into these core needs. So as life expectancy rises and modern medicine increases the survival rate of those with injuries, illnesses, and birth defects, there is a growing interest in this type of home remodeling.
The Principles of Universal Design
- Easy to use
- Flexibility in use
- Simple and intuitive
- Easy to understand
- Low physical effort
- Size and space for approach and use
Examples of Universal Design Construction Services offered by HK Construction:
- Smooth, ground level entrances without stairs
- Surfaces that are stable, firm, and slip resistant (especially in bathrooms and primary walkways)
- Wide interior doors (3’0″), hallways, and alcoves with 60″ × 60″ turning space at doors and dead-ends
- Extra floor space in whatever areas you need most
- Easy access to whatever you need to reach or get into
- Bright and appropriate lighting such as windows, skylights, inset cans, etc.
- Clear lines of sight to reduce dependence on sound
- Ramps for walker or easy wheelchair access
- …and more!
HK Construction can help you remodel your home using universal design concepts because of our long experience in custom construction services. So just ask!
Contact Us for More Information
Contact HK Construction today for a free in home Universal Design consultation and discuss your special needs. Because we want to help you live a more comfortable life! Call 858-748-6580 or send us an email. Connect with on Facebook too!
Owner: Marc Gieselmann, Owner
Location: San Diego, CA