Garage Closets and other Simple Storage Ideas You Might Not Have Thought About

Garage Closets and other Simple Storage Ideas You Might Not Have Thought About 2015-07-28T14:46:06+00:00

Garages are used for everything from general storage to workshops and studios, greenhouses and boathouses, offices and play areas. Many a great American business has started in the garage.

Did you know that only 15% of people who have garages actually park their cars in them? It doesn’t matter if you are one of these or the other 85%; you still need simple and cost effective storage solutions.

If you have a garage, you may want to tidy it up, install shelves and closets, extend it, improve it or convert it to whatever your needs are at this time. Proper shelving will ensure you garage doesn’t become a disorganized mess full of junk. A closet in your garage steps up your storage another notch. Whatever you do for garage storage, good planning can save you time, money and hassles.

Some things you need to consider are:

Find what you need, when you need it.
For me, there’s nothing worse than spending HOURS trying to find something you KNOW you already own but can’t find. Then in frustration you go out and buy a new one only to have your old one turn up a short time later. Ughhh… All that can be avoided with good garage closets, shelves or storage built into the rafters that are clean, well organized and easy to get to.

Garage insulation is probably not something you think about very often.
Most homeowners keep their attics and walls well insulated because they know it saves on energy costs. But since garages are considered undeveloped spaces, not heated or cooled, then to cut rate home builders it does not makes sense to insulate them. However, HK Construction takes a different, more practical view. Most items you might be storing are probably not sensitive to temperature changes. But some things will be highly sensitive. Items such as, photo albums, heirlooms, electronic equipment, anything made of wood such as sporting gear and musical instruments, food, water, seeds and yes even ammunition. Insulation will help keep these items safe! You have a number of options for insulating your garage walls and choosing the right one can make a big difference.

Going a step further from insulation is climate control.
If you will be storing sensitive items in your garage, or even spending time in there relaxing or working on projects behind closed doors, then piping in existing air flow would be a prudent choice. You could also install independent or separate heat and cooling systems just for the garage if your house is not easily accessible or does not have such systems already in place.

Flooring- concrete is porous.
Most garage floors are concrete. Although it seems like a hard surface it’s actually quite porous; moister from underneath wicks right through to the surface. This moisture causes condensation and could possibly wreak havoc and damage your valuables; whether they are sitting on the floor or on a shelf. Some items might be sensitive to the raise in humidity. There are a variety of flooring options, coverings and coatings to choose from that could help you avoid unnecessary damage.

Garage doors and other accesses.
What good are garage closets and garage storage if you can’t easily get to them? Needless to say you must have clean and functional access. We can make sure your main garage door is in top operating condition. We can also install new doors as needed. We can construct new passage ways if needed as well.

Here are some final parting tips for maximizing the use of your garage storage:
– Put most used items in the front for easy access.
– Pack boxes so that they are easy to move and handle.
– Write the contents of the boxes on both top and sides of box for easier finding.
– When stacking boxes, put heavy boxes on the bottom and lighter ones on the top.
– Maximize the space of your garage storage by disassembling bulky pieces and stacking items

Garage Closets and Garage Storage Solutions

The importance is pretty clear. A clean and well organized garage gives a person piece of mind knowing their items are safely stored and easily accessible. The garage is probably one of the largest rooms in one’s house and probably stores some of your most valuable belongings. With a little planning and a reasonable investment your garage can be transformed from a junk room to a calm and organized space that you’ll look forward to using.