Universal design (also known as “Barrier Free” design) refers to broad-spectrum ideas meant to produce buildings, products and environments that are inherently accessible to older people and people of all ages with disabilities.
Universal design is related to aging-in-place remodeling. HK Construction can help you remodel your home using universal design concepts.
In a broad view the term is used to describe the concept of designing the environment to be pleasingly aesthetic and usable to the greatest extent possible by everyone, regardless of their age, ability, or status in life. Universal design emerged from slightly earlier barrier-free concepts, the broader accessibility movement, and adaptive and assistive technology and also seeks to blend modern aesthetics into these core considerations. As life expectancy rises and modern medicine increases the survival rate of those with significant injuries, illnesses, and birth defects, there is a growing interest in universal design.
Curb cuts or sidewalk ramps, essential for people in wheelchairs but also used by all, are a common example of Universal Design concepts.
The Principles of Universal Design
- Equitable use
- Flexibility in use
- Simple and intuitive
- Perceptible information
- Tolerance for error
- Low physical effort
- Size and space for approach and use
Examples of Universal Design Construction Services offered by HK Construction:
- Smooth, ground level entrances without stairs
- Surfaces that are stable, firm, and slip resistant (especially in bathrooms and primary walkways)
- Wide interior doors (3’0″), hallways, and alcoves with 60″ × 60″ turning space at doors and dead-ends
- Extra floor space in whatever areas you need most
- Functional clearances for approach and use of elements and components
- Lever handles for opening doors rather than twisting knobs
- Single-hand operation with closed fist for operable components including fire alarm pull stations
- Components that do not require tight grasping, pinching or twisting of the wrist
- Components that require less than 5 pounds of force to operate
- Light switches with large flat panels rather than small toggle switches
- Buttons and other controls that can be distinguished by touch
- Bright and appropriate lighting, particularly task lighting
- Clear lines of sight to reduce dependence on sound
- Ramp access to various structures
- …and more! We can accommodate your needs with custom services. Just ask!
Some universal design features just make good sense. Once you bring them into your home, you’ll wonder how you ever lived without them
- Floors and bathtubs with non-slip surfaces help everyone stay on their feet. They’re not just for people who are frail. The same goes for handrails on steps and grab bars in bathrooms.
- Thresholds that are flush with the floor make it easy for a wheelchair to get through a doorway. They also keep others from tripping.
- Good lighting helps people with poor vision. And it helps everyone else see better, too.
Contact HK Construction today for a free in home Universal Design consultation and discuss your special needs. We can help you live a more comfortable life! Call 858-748-6580 or send us an email. Connect with on Facebook too!